*I was kindly given an e-copy of this title by the publisher via Netgalley in return for an honest review.
Title: Madly, Deeply
Author: Erica Crouch
Published: June 12th 2012 by Mariner Books
Recommended If You Like: Historical Fiction, Edgar Allen Poe, YA, Retellings, Paranormal, Fantasy, Romance,
Released: June 17th 2014
Published: Patchwork Press
More Information: Goodreads
This book is based of of the Edgar Allen Poe poem Annabelle Lee. I’m obsessed with Edgar Allen Poe and therefore grabbed this as fast as I could. I had high hopes for this book, but I went in knowing the poem and therefore knew that this wasn’t going to be a happy story. So if your looking for a sweet, happy, nothing bad happens story then go ahead and skip this one.
For those who have not yet read the poem, here it is:
Now for the book itself, the first thing I want to talk about is the characters. The three main characters consist of Annaleigh, her beau William, and his sited Mary. Annaleigh and William have a very sweet relationship, almost a little too sweet. Their relationship seems perfect, which makes it unrealistic and kind of took me out the story, but it does lend to the fairytale aspect of it. Annaleigh was sweet and innocent while William was nice but also had a sad past that haunted him. Mary was my favorite because she was feisty and felt more real to me. She also has a paranormal talent that comes into play later.
As for the setting, I thought I was great. I felt like I was back in the 1800s. The author is very detailed so that the screens really poppa off the page for you. However, this brings me to the writing style which I didn’t like. It was too wordy and full of metaphors. I felt like every other sentence contains a metaphor and it was extremely distracting. I would have a preferred a more straightforward writing style.
The story alluded to the raven as well which I really enjoyed, Poe fans will have searching for these references.
As I was reading this book I kept thinking how cheesy it was and getting distracted by the metaphors, and I thought should I just go ahead and put this down? I didn’t and in the end I cried, hard. It was then that I realized that I has connected with characters and I truly did enjoy and like the story. This is the reason I’m giving it 3 stars.
I liked it, but I didn’t love it.
I would recommend this to anyone who is a big Poe fan and loves romance, and maybe a little paranormal as well. Will you be picking this up and will you skip it? Let me know and why in the comments below. And don’t forget to hit the like and share button. And click one of the many follow buttons on the side to stay up to date with new book posts like this one. Have a great day!
I love blue colors and this has to be my new favorite nail color. It’s a little dark for the summer months, but it sparkles so much that it looks bright an shiny in the light. This color reminds me of the night sky lit by millions of stars, it looks so romantic.
Here’s a couple pictures, the name is ciao Bella by Sinful Colors:
I hope you enjoyed the quick nail update. I’m sorry I haven’t posted in weeks, I moved a week ago an we’re struggling to find an internet provider so I’ve been without internet. I’m still creating and writing, but in waiting for when I can use the computer and clean the posts up to actually publish them. I try to make the content on here the best quality it can be, so please be patient with me.
I hope you’re having a wonderful week and I’ll see you next time!
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish and this week’s topic is the top ten characters we would want to be stranded on a deserted island with, and here’s my list:
1. Jem from the Infernal Devices Series: I loved Jem and I would want him on a desert island with me because he’s so sweet and lovable. He would be willing to help with anything that needed to be done and plus he can play the violin so we could have lovely music with chilling out by the beach.
2. Hermione from the Harry Potter Series: She rocks and it has to be super helpful to have some one who can work some awesome spells around. she also very smart and brave so I know I would safe with her.
3. Four from the Divergent Series: He is such a total bad ass and is super hot, need I say more??
4. Katniss from the Hunger Games Series: She would be the perfect must have person to be stranded on a desert island with. She can use here bow and arrow to hunt with. And she could also use it against any enemies that might arise(dum dum dummm). And she really clever so i think she could be helpful in make shelters and finding good drinking water etc.
5. Rhett Butler from Gone With the Wind: There’s really no important reason I need him on the island, just that I simply think he’s sexy and would be a lot of fun. I’m sure he would manage to rescue some alcohol somehow and make it a party.
6. Cinder from the Lunar Chronicles: She an amazing mechanic and I think that her skills would be similar to engineering so I think she could help in possible finding a way to get off off the island. Because, while it would be fun to be stuck on an island with all these characters, I would want some Taco Bell or McDonald’s eventually lol.
7. Jacob Kuisl from the Hangman’s Daughter Series: He’s another bad ass that would be great at helping making shelters and cooking food. Also he knows a lot about herbs and remedies for different illness and injuries so he would kind of be like a doctor, which is very important.
8. Diana Bishop from the All Souls Trilogy: She’s a witch and a very powerful one at that, she can even travel back in time, so if we weren’t really digging the whole island scene then she could possibly travel back in time and prevent us from being stranded. That might be the most helpful ability of all.
9. Adele from The Casquette Girls: She really just seems like a lot of fun to me. I think she would be fun just to hang out with and talk about all things New Orleans(my favorite place). She’s also a witch so the more the merrier with the witches haha.
10. Tyrion Lannister from A Game of Thrones: He might be small, but he’s very clever. We would need all the smart people would could get to help figure everything out and I think he would be extra good at it. Plus, I bet he could also manage to find a way off the island too, considering everything he’s managed in his world. He would also be fun to party with.
There it is, I hoped you enjoyed it and that it made sense. I’m writing this while being very tired and sick so if it doesn’t make any sense I’m sorry! I’ll see you guys soon and have a great day!
As some of you may know I just got back last night from my weekend trip to Galveston. We didn’t have very long there and we were super busy so u didn’t take a lot pictures unfortunately. But are a few that I did manage to take:
Here’s a couple random pictures of the pier, it had a lot of fun looking rides but the water park earlier was enough thrills for us haha
Schittlerbaun was the water park we went to it was so much fun!
A couple pictures of the beach
And a some pictures of the cool benches that line the beach, they tell stories about the town and I think they were beautiful.
And that’s it for the trip, I hope you liked the pictures! I’ll see you again again soon, have a great day!
You may have noticed that was went on a short hiatus last week and didn’t post anything. That was because I was taking a short vacation and going to a family reunion in Harmony Pennsylvania. Harmony is a beautiful, very historical, little town about 45 minutes outside of Pittsburgh. I had a great time exploring the town the my father grew up in and meeting family that I had never seen before.
Here’s a quick photo diary of my trip (all photos are random):
I had so much fun, but I’m happy to be home. Tonight I have a friend flying n from Reno and we leave in the morning to drive to Galveston TX for the weekend. I hope to have a photo diary of that for you too.
Love you guys, and have a great day! xoxo
I love my Maybelline Line Works liquid eyeliner, but it finally ran out two weeks ago so it was time to buy a new one. I’ve had my Maybelline for so long that I thought it was time to try something new, particularly a pen style eyeliner. The Maybelline has a flexible felt tip, and I wanted to try something different. So, looked around Walmart for about 15 minutes before finally deciding on the Rimmel Scandeleyes micro eyeliner.
I had really high expectations for this, since I hadn’t tried a Rimmel product that I didn’t like. But, unfortunately I was disappointed by it. I got the color black, but when I first started applying it it was so streaky and the color pay off was bad that it looked more grey on my eyes. And no matter how may times I tried to build it up, it still still turned out streaky. I was sad and disappointed, but the more times I started using it the better the liner was. However, I don’t feel like it should take a week for the liner to start coming out right. On a good note, the tip of the pin does make it easy to do very small defined lines.
Here is a swatch of different sized lines as well as how dark you can make them.
In the end, I think is an okay eyeliner, but I probably won’t be repurchasing it in the future. Please, let me know what yur favorite liquid eyeliner is so I can have a few suggestions. And have your tried the scandaleyes liner before? Did you like it or not, why? Let me know in the comments, and don’t forget to like, share, and follow for more beauty reviews.
Have a great day!
Top Ten Tuesdays are a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week it’s your tip ten favorite movies or Tv shows. I decided to mix the two and list 5 of each.
Here are 5 of my favorite movies and 5 of my favorite TV shows:
1. Breakfast at Tiffany’s: The movie is based of Trueman Capote’s novella of the same name and he based Holly Golightly on Marilyn Monroe. He fought for her to play the role in the film but in the end Audrey Hepburn won, I think it she did an amazing job with the role. I didn’t really enjoy the novel too much, so I’m ok that the movie isn’t very close to the book. Holly Golightly and the movie are pop culture icons and the movie is splendid. It’s not some cheesy love story. It’s real, raw, and beautiful all at the same time.
2. Queen of the Damned: This is another movie based off of a book, go figure haha. But this was very loosely adapted, I’ve heard (I actually haven’t finished this book yet). I know that this movie may seem cheesy to some, but I LOVED it. It has vampires, rock stars, a super cool vampire queen played by Aliyah , and a soundtrack by amazing real rock bands that I still play regularly. I remember me and my friends watching this all time and it holds a special nostalgic place in my heart.
3. Lord of War: This has Nicholas Cage in it, who is really good in this movie, I know people tend to make fun of his acting but this is good I swear) and Jared Leto, the singer from 30 Seconds to Mars. It’s about a man who sells weapons to war lords and makes a bunch of money. But as you can imagine that doesn’t exactly work out for him very well. It’s based of a real person and his story and is worth watching.
4. Boondock Saints: This was my all time favorite movie back in high school, I even had a jacket with the MacManus brothers on it and the prayer they recite. I thought Sean Patrick Flanery was so cute and it has Norman Reedus from The Walking Dead. This movie is about two Irish brothers living in Boston who accidentally get in a fight with the Russian mob. After winning hey decide it’s their calling to take down the mob that has been taking advantage of their Irish neighborhood, along with a friend named Rocco. This is gritty film that is not for the kids, but it’s a good mob movie with some funny parts added into the mix.
5. Steel Magnolias: This classic film is a must see for every woman, especially those of us living in the south. The cast is amazing and includes Julia Roberts, Dolly Parton, and Sally Fields. It’s the story about a group of southern women who support their friend who has a daughter who is struggling with diabetes. It’s a movie that will make you laugh and have you bawling uncontrollably. It’s the perfect movie for a girls night.
1. Doctor Who: My husband actually got me into this, because I usually don’t like science fiction shows. But this British is show is hilarious and has some really good story lines, although the special effects are as cheesy as you expect. The fandom for this massive and it’s easy to see why. It’s so easy to fall in love with the doctor(everyone has a favorite and mine is 10, David Tennant FOREVER!) and his many companions. So, even if you don’t like science fiction try to give this a try, it’s a lot of fun.
2. Mad Men: I love everything about the 1950’s, so when I saw this show I knew immediately I was going to love it. At first, I watched it for the fashion, but the drama and characters kept me coming back. This show always has something going on, and sometimes they throw in some really crazy things that are completely shocking. This is not a show you can half watch, you have to really watch it to get everything, It’s smart, funny, and sometimes a little dark and I love it.
3. The Tudors: This I started watching on Netflix on whim when I had just moved to new town after getting married and I was having trouble sleeping. I love historical fiction and dramas so I decided to try it out. I hadn’t known very much about the Tudor era or Henry VIII before, so besides being a really interesting and entertaining, I actually learned a lot watching it. Also, Jonathan Rhys Meyers and Henry Cavill are super hot in it.
4. Downton Abbey: I had waited so long to watch this because even though there is so much hype around it, I thought it looked really boring. But, I was so wrong. It’s a period drama set in the early 1900s and it’s costumes and settings are amazing. Be ready for a lot of drama, this show definitely comes off more like a soap opera, but I really smart upscale soap opera. Check this out if you haven’t already.
5. Big Bang Theory: This is simply a very funny show, I don’t know anyone who doesn’t love this show. My husband is an engineer so I get the geekiness and he can explain a lot of the science behind things which makes it more fun. The characters are very lovable and this is the perfect show to watch if you’re feeling down and need a good laugh.
I hope you enjoyed my list. Do like you like any of these shows and movies too? What are some of your favorite shows and movies? Let me know in the comments!