Top Ten Tuesdays are a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week it’s your tip ten favorite movies or Tv shows. I decided to mix the two and list 5 of each.
Here are 5 of my favorite movies and 5 of my favorite TV shows:
1. Breakfast at Tiffany’s: The movie is based of Trueman Capote’s novella of the same name and he based Holly Golightly on Marilyn Monroe. He fought for her to play the role in the film but in the end Audrey Hepburn won, I think it she did an amazing job with the role. I didn’t really enjoy the novel too much, so I’m ok that the movie isn’t very close to the book. Holly Golightly and the movie are pop culture icons and the movie is splendid. It’s not some cheesy love story. It’s real, raw, and beautiful all at the same time.
2. Queen of the Damned: This is another movie based off of a book, go figure haha. But this was very loosely adapted, I’ve heard (I actually haven’t finished this book yet). I know that this movie may seem cheesy to some, but I LOVED it. It has vampires, rock stars, a super cool vampire queen played by Aliyah , and a soundtrack by amazing real rock bands that I still play regularly. I remember me and my friends watching this all time and it holds a special nostalgic place in my heart.
3. Lord of War: This has Nicholas Cage in it, who is really good in this movie, I know people tend to make fun of his acting but this is good I swear) and Jared Leto, the singer from 30 Seconds to Mars. It’s about a man who sells weapons to war lords and makes a bunch of money. But as you can imagine that doesn’t exactly work out for him very well. It’s based of a real person and his story and is worth watching.
4. Boondock Saints: This was my all time favorite movie back in high school, I even had a jacket with the MacManus brothers on it and the prayer they recite. I thought Sean Patrick Flanery was so cute and it has Norman Reedus from The Walking Dead. This movie is about two Irish brothers living in Boston who accidentally get in a fight with the Russian mob. After winning hey decide it’s their calling to take down the mob that has been taking advantage of their Irish neighborhood, along with a friend named Rocco. This is gritty film that is not for the kids, but it’s a good mob movie with some funny parts added into the mix.
5. Steel Magnolias: This classic film is a must see for every woman, especially those of us living in the south. The cast is amazing and includes Julia Roberts, Dolly Parton, and Sally Fields. It’s the story about a group of southern women who support their friend who has a daughter who is struggling with diabetes. It’s a movie that will make you laugh and have you bawling uncontrollably. It’s the perfect movie for a girls night.
1. Doctor Who: My husband actually got me into this, because I usually don’t like science fiction shows. But this British is show is hilarious and has some really good story lines, although the special effects are as cheesy as you expect. The fandom for this massive and it’s easy to see why. It’s so easy to fall in love with the doctor(everyone has a favorite and mine is 10, David Tennant FOREVER!) and his many companions. So, even if you don’t like science fiction try to give this a try, it’s a lot of fun.
2. Mad Men: I love everything about the 1950’s, so when I saw this show I knew immediately I was going to love it. At first, I watched it for the fashion, but the drama and characters kept me coming back. This show always has something going on, and sometimes they throw in some really crazy things that are completely shocking. This is not a show you can half watch, you have to really watch it to get everything, It’s smart, funny, and sometimes a little dark and I love it.
3. The Tudors: This I started watching on Netflix on whim when I had just moved to new town after getting married and I was having trouble sleeping. I love historical fiction and dramas so I decided to try it out. I hadn’t known very much about the Tudor era or Henry VIII before, so besides being a really interesting and entertaining, I actually learned a lot watching it. Also, Jonathan Rhys Meyers and Henry Cavill are super hot in it.
4. Downton Abbey: I had waited so long to watch this because even though there is so much hype around it, I thought it looked really boring. But, I was so wrong. It’s a period drama set in the early 1900s and it’s costumes and settings are amazing. Be ready for a lot of drama, this show definitely comes off more like a soap opera, but I really smart upscale soap opera. Check this out if you haven’t already.
5. Big Bang Theory: This is simply a very funny show, I don’t know anyone who doesn’t love this show. My husband is an engineer so I get the geekiness and he can explain a lot of the science behind things which makes it more fun. The characters are very lovable and this is the perfect show to watch if you’re feeling down and need a good laugh.
I hope you enjoyed my list. Do like you like any of these shows and movies too? What are some of your favorite shows and movies? Let me know in the comments!